Cripple Creek, CO 45°
The Colorado Grande Casino Blog   Go Back

When Did 80′s Music Become “Classic”?

Posted by : Admin

The term “classic 80′s” music seems a little bit laughable and a little bit frightening to those of us who came of age during this decade. After all, we think of music from the 60′s as the “oldies” and to us, rock from the legends, like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and others is “classic rock”. But, for many younger people, the 1980′s represent a classic period of music, as the world of pop left the disco era and had its own coming of age.

Consider the following musicians from the 1980′s and their influence on the pop and rock music to come.

Michael Jackson – Jackson was the most popular artist of the 1980′s. “Thriller” sold 35 million copies, and was the best selling record of all time. Today’s R&B and hip-hop artists owe an awful lot to the dance moves and flashy stage presence of Michael Jackson. He is also largely responsible for bridging the gap between “black music” and “white music”.

Bruce Springsteen – Springsteen was one of the biggest selling artists of the 1980s. His “Born in the USA”, released in 1984, sold 15 million copies, making it one of the biggest selling albums of the decade. Many of today’s gravelly voiced rockers, like Nickelback and Daughtry were clearly influenced by Springsteen’s style.

U2 – Bono’s influence is all over the 1980′s and many of their hits paved the way for the alternative bands of today. Their guitar style and Bono’s vocals were the start of the alternative wave to come.

So, while referring to 80′s music as “classic” might make some of us feel a little older than we care to admit, when you consider these three artists from the 1980′s, along with many others, you can see that the influence of this period of music has, indeed, had an undeniable influence on the music of today. And, that, is what makes it classic.

Tags: , , , ,

7 Responses to “When Did 80′s Music Become “Classic”?”

1. Dean Grimes says:

The 80′s is such a hard decade to pinpoint a particular style. Early eighties had the early pop and dance, but the hair bands were starting to break through too. When I go back through my cassettes I see a big variety of music. Still not sure if should be called classic, though.

2. foxguy says:

Too me, 80′s music had such an influence because of MTV. I remember watching premier videos in primetime on regular TV stations. Music was huge then.

3. Kat says:

I miss you Michael!

4. Tiffany Wade says:

I was a white boy in the eighties (still am) and I had pictures of michael jackson all over my wall. I even played him in a school dance. His stuff in the 80′s was great!

5. Bunny says:

Classic rock is the 70′s. Period. A little of the late 60′s and a little of the early 80′s are included as well. When I listen to the local classic rock station and they play something from the 80′s hair bands like whitesnake or def leppard I have to laugh. Harldy classic at all.

6. Mick says:

There were a lot of kids who loved U2 back then at my school, but I never really got into them. I loved MJ, Prince, Van Halen, and Hall and Oates. But now I love U2!

7. Gene Bynum says:

No matter what you call it, it was great music. It made you want to dance and it wasn’t all about negative stuff. I love checking out the videos on Youtube occaisionally. I’m turning you loose! Footloose!

blog